Tuesday 1 September 2015

Four Flags


Not that it matters greatly beyond the shores of Aotearoa, but the four contenders for the new national flag of New Zealand have been selected, the winner to be determined by referendum, then a final choice between the pretender and the current flag.

There's an irony in the much repeated complaint about our flag looking too much like Australia's. The Kiwi flag was in fact first off the block, with the Ockers - as they so often do - snatching it (with modifications) for their own. Pavlova, Phar Lap... it's a common thread in the relationship with that noisy, big island to our west. And of course the confusion cuts both ways. The Canadians once raised the NZ flag for former Aussie Prime Minister Bob Hawke.


Personally I'm fond of the original, but would have been happy to go with the original United Tribes flag which preceded British annexation and is still proudly displayed by Maori in Northland.


Out of the new designs I prefer - I think - the red, white and blue fern and stars design.

5 comments:

  1. I think you should keep the current one. In fact, I don't think Canada or the RSA should have changed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Red, white, and blue fern. But being the States I may be a bit partial to red, white, and blue flags. Mercy, you guys are sure isolated down there. Less so, now, I suppose, with the internet, but still geographically isolated. But I guess that's a good thing. When the Germans invade I can see you making a valiant last stand in the Southern Alps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. Red, white, and blue fern. But being the States I may be a bit partial to red, white, and blue flags. Mercy, you guys are sure isolated down there. Less so, now, I suppose, with the internet, but still geographically isolated. But I guess that's a good thing. When the Germans invade I can see you making a valiant last stand in the Southern Alps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why even have flags in this day and age? Aren't they nationalistic symbols from a bygone era?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The one with the Red Cross would be good: Symbolizes giving blood:
    The level of wealth 'bleeding' from NZ as a result of very high foreign investment:
    wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_international_investment_position

    ReplyDelete